Karachi: Naegleria fowleri claimed another life in Karachi, confirmed EDO Health Karachi on Tuesday. A 32-year-old woman, Hina Ashfaq, resident of Adam Jee Nagar, Gulshan-e-Iqbal Town, died of Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, here in private hospital. She was admitted in a critical condition to a private hospital few days ago and died on the other day.
Executive District Officer (EDO) for Health Karachi Dr Zafar Ejaz said Hina resident of Gulshan-e-Iqbal Town died due to Naegleria in private hospital where she was brought for treatment. He said eight people died of Naegleria in Sindh province out of which seven in Karachi and one in Hyderabad.
Experts said a brain-eating amoeba enters through the nose and starts consuming brain tissues, it takes two to 15 days for the symptoms to appear and three to five more for death to occur.
The amoeba loves warm water and can survive in temperatures as high as 46 degrees. Freshwater bodies such as ponds, lakes, swimming pools, as well as underground and overhead tanks are the most common points.