Survey (Majority Pakistanis (75%) claim to have never had the chance to go to a law court,Poll)


Islamabad: According to a Gilani Research Foundation Survey carried out by Gallup Pakistan, 75% Pakistanis claim to have never had the chance to go to a law court.

A nationally representative sample of adult men and women, from across the four provinces was asked, “Please state if during the past year you or any other household member had the chance to go to any law court.” In response, 75% said no, 23% said yes and 2% did not respond.

According to the provincial breakdown, 24% of the respondents in Punjab had said yes, 74% had said no and 2% did not respond. In Sindh, 21% of the respondents had said that they have had a chance to go to a law court while 78% had said that they did not have a chance to go to a law court and 1% did not respond. Likewise in KPK, 31% had said that yes while 69% had said no.

In Balochistan however, only 5% of the respondents had the chance to go to a law court while 95% did not have such a chance.

According to the urban-rural breakdown, 18% of the respondents in rural areas had said yes while 80% had said no and 2% did not respond. In urban areas, 34% of the respondents had said yes, 64% had said no and 1% did not respond.

The study was released by Gilani Research Foundation and carried out by Gallup Pakistan, the Pakistani affiliate of Gallup International. The recent survey was carried out among a sample of 1822 men and women in rural and urban areas of all four provinces of the country, during June 29 – July 6, 2015. Error margin is estimated to be approximately ± 2-3 per cent at 95% confidence level.