Violence of 2012: Sindh govt to compensate 700 bereaved families

Karachi: A commission set up by the Sindh government to compensate the families of people killed in violence in 2012 has verified the list containing 700 families eligible for the compensation.

Retired Justice Zahid Qurban Alvi, chairman of the compensation commission told this to media Tuesday at his office. He said the commission has compiled a list of 700 victims, mainly belonging to activists of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), Awami National Party (ANP), Jafaria Alliance and other parties.

He said that list suggests that 170 slain workers belonged to Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), 150 to MQM, more than 100 to Jafaria Alliance, 99 to the ANP, 28 to the Sunni Tehreek, 4 to the MQM-Haqiqi, 11 to the Awami Tehreek and 31 to the Katchhi Rabita Committee, who were killed on the political grounds.

He told that the Rs0.2million will be given to each bereaved family.

He said that political parties had provided the list of victimized families last year. He said after verifying the record of victims, compensation is given. He said that this year also political parties took the responsibility to suggest the names of the victims to compensate them in transparent manner.

He said besides these 700 families, the families of other victims who lost their life in violence in 2012 would also be compensated; however, the verification in this regard is still in process.

He said that beyond the compensation, the commission was trying to provide other benefits like education and vocational training to the children of the victims.

Leave a Reply