KARACHI: Civil society members and nationalist parties on Thursday staged protests against gang rape of four women in Khairpur district outside Karachi Press Club and demanded of Chief Minister Sindh Qaim Ali Shah, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Chief Justice Supreme Court of Pakistan Justice Nasirul Mulk to take action against the culprits.
They said the incident happened on the night of May 25, when seven men barged into Mohammad Paryal’s house in Memon Mohallah in Rasoolabad Town. At first the dacoits took all the cash, gold, other valuables and then proceeded to gang rape four of the women which included Paryal’s wife, two sisters-in-law and a niece. His mother was spared due to her age.
The protestors were chanting slogans against inaction of district administration and police against the culprits involved in the incident.
Moving scenes were witnessed outside the Karachi Press Club, where the four women, who were raped in the incident, told their story with tears falling from their eyes. They expressed their helplessness and said that their life had been ruined due to this incident.
Several lawyers, members of Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, Home Based Workers Association Secretary General Zehra Khan, activists of Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz, Sindh National Movement, Qaumi Awami Party also expressed their solidarity with the victims and demanded provincial government to take action against the culprits.
It is pertinent to mention here that rape FIR has been lodged against seven men, including Saleem Sahito, Rafiq Sahito, Aijaz Machi and Laloo Samito while police had failed to take any action the men nominated in it.
Talking to PPI, HRCP representative Abdul Fattah said that such incidents were earning a bad name for the province and the provincial authorities should take strict action to curb these incidents. He said that almost two months had passed since this incident happened, however, the culprits are still free and threatening the family.
Speaking on the occasion, the President Sindh Memon Ittehad Haji Abdul Razzaq said that Memon community will not leave this issue until justice is provided to the victims and culprits involved in the incident are arrested. “We will provide all possible assistance to the grieving family,” he said.
He said that district administration and police officials silence over inaction against criminals had raised suspicions of their involvement.