Karachi: Naegleria fowleri claimed the third life in the city on Friday as a man died in private hospital, confirmed health department official. The 32-year-old man, Mohammad Adnan, resident of Korangi, died of Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, here in private hospital. The man was admitted in a critical condition to a private hospital few days ago.
Executive District Officer (EDO) for Health Karachi Dr Zafar Ejaz said Adnan, resident of Korangi Town, died due to Naegleria in private hospital where he was brought for treatment.
Experts said Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba, enters through a person’s nose and starts consuming brain tissue, it takes two to 15 days for the symptoms to appear and three to five more for death to occur. The amoeba loves warm water and can survive in temperatures as high as 46 degrees. Freshwater bodies such as ponds, lakes, swimming pools, as well as underground and overhead tanks are the most common points.
Experts said chlorination of water is necessary to prevent from Naegleria disease.
The post Naegleria fowleri claims one more life in Karachi appeared first on Pakistan Press International.