Preventive measures sought to combat diabetes

KARACHI: Approximately 20 million people are living with diabetes in Pakistan and the number may reach 40 million in 2034.

Renowned Dialectologist Prof Dr Zaman Sheikh said this, while talking to PPI in connection with the World Diabetes Day being observed on 14th November 2014. The World Diabetes Day is observed with aim to raise awareness of diabetes and its complications and the care that people need.

He said there are two types of diabetes, out of which 2 million people are hit by type–I in Pakistan, while 18 million people are suffering from type-II diabetes. He said Pakistan rank number 10th in diabetes cases globally. He said: “In coming years, diabetes could take worse shape in the country if preventive measure are not taken in this regard.”

Prof Shaikh said excessive food intake & less exercise, junk food, soft drinks, obesity, poverty and sedentary life-style increase the risk of contracting diabetes among people.

He revealed there are two major reason behind occurring of diabetes; family/genetic and environmental. He explained that there are 25 percent chances of contracting diabetes among children if their mothers or father have been suffering from this disease. He said risk of developing disease among children increase 75 percent if child parents both mother and father have diabetes.

Replying to a question regarding the diabetes situation in Sindh province, Prof Zaman Shaikh said situation in Sindh province is more serious as compared to other provinces due to lack of education and awareness about the diabetes in interior Sindh.

He stressed the need of raising awareness and educating the people about disease like diabetes in order to prevent people from its disease complications.

The post Preventive measures sought to combat diabetes appeared first on Pakistan Press International.

Leave a Reply