SHC asks IGP, other to file comments on petition of Shikarpur carnage suspect’s mother


KARACHI: The provincial home secretary, Sindh police chief, the deputy inspector general of Larkana district, and others have been directed to file comments on a petition filed by the mother of a suspect of the Shikarpur Imambargah carnage against the police for allegedly implicating her son in the terrorism case.

A division bench of the Sindh High Court has summoned the investigation officer of the case along with the case details. It issued notice to the provincial law officer to ensure filing of the comments by the respondent authorities before next hearing.

Petitioner, Mst Sadoran had gone to the court against Saqib Ismail Memon, the SSP Shikarpur, Abdul Qudoos Kalwar DSP Shikarpur city, and other police officers for allegedly implicating her son in the terrorism case.

The petitioner’s counsel submitted that her son, Waqar Ahmed, a cameramen associated with a Sindhi News Channel, had been illegally detained, tortured, and booked under the sections of Explosive Act, Sindh Arms Act 2013 and Anti-Terrorism Act 1999.

He told the judges that on April 18, the DSP had summoned Waqar to his office and let him go after having kept him waiting for more than two hours. The next day he was again asked to show up in the office of the SSP Shikarpur and subsequently he went there and never returned home.

After a few days, the counsel said, the petitioner learned through the paper that Waqar was sent behind the bars for his alleged involvement in Shikarpur Imambargah bombing.

Refuting the allegations, the woman petitioner maintained, her son was being punished for being associated with the hazardous profession adding he was illegally booked in the case.

The counsel said the fundamental rights to life and liberty of petitioner’s son had been infringed by the police who were bent upon ruining his life.

The petitioner requested the court to order production of her son in court and an impartial inquiry against the police officer for booking her son in terrorism case. It was requested to order constitution of medical board to examine health of petitioner’s son.

At least 64 people were killed and many others wounded when a deadly suicide blast ripped through the Imambargah during Friday prayers in January 2015.