KARACHI: Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday gave provincial law officer more time to file Sindh government’s explanation for flouting its order regarding formation of three-member commission to probe Thar tragedy and tackle the issues faced by famine-hit people.
Chief Justice Maqbool Baqar, who headed a division bench of SHC, also extended its interim order, suspending the operation of a notification issued by Sindh government for formation of three-member commission on Thar tragedy.
Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research and two other NGOs had filed contempt application requesting court to punish provincial authorities for disobeying court order.
Applicant’s counsel Faisal Siddiqui submitted that earlier on April 11, SHC bench had directed the federal & provincial law officer and representatives of the applicants to suggest the formation and mandate of the commission to tackle issues facing people of Thar.
In a deliberate attempt to undermine and violate the April 11 order, chief secretary Sindh issued a notification dated April 14 for formation of so-called three-member commission, he said while adding that the SHC had only asked provincial government to submit its suggestions.
He said that chief secretary had consciously, deliberately and wilfully attempted to subvert, undermine the order of the high court and requested the court to initiate contempt proceedings against him.
Earlier the bench while hearing the petitions filed by Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research and two other NGOs had observed that a suitable approach towards mitigation of issues faced by famine affected people would be formation of the commission.
It therefore directed federal and provincial law officer and representatives of petitioners to give their suggestions on the formation commission.
The hearing of the case was adjourned by 23 May.
The post Thar tragedy probe: SHC gives more time for filing explanation on defying order appeared first on Pakistan Press International.