UPDATED NEWS: Freed Pak crew to reach home soon: Burney

KARACHI: Chairman of Ansar Burney Trust International and Pakistan’s former federal minister for human rights, Ansar Burney, Monday announced that 6 Pakistani crew members of the hijacked MT Morning Glory, cleared by Libyan authorities, would be released from Libyan detention Centre and reach back home very soon.

Burney thanked Libyan Attorney General office and Libyan government that 6 Pakistanis, 6 Indians, 3 Sri Lankans, 2 Syrian, 2 Sudanese and 2 Eritrean crew members of MT ‘Morning Glory’ would be released and reach their respective countries soon.

He said Ansar Burney Trust with the kind cooperation of Presidency, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, COAS and Pakistan Ambassador at Libya once again proved that we as a nation believe in humanity and human dignity and without any discrimination once again we have succeeded in helping other nationals as well.

Burney said after rescue by the American forces from Cyprian sea water the Ship along with 21 crew members reached Libya where the crew were taken into custody for investigation, and now they all were cleared. He said all the crew members on Board are safe and would reach back their respective homes soon.

Burney once again thanked US President, Barrack Obama, US Pentagon, US Forces, Pakistan’s President Mamnoon Hussain, Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif, Secretary General of NATO Anders Fogh Rasmussen, US Embassy at Islamabad and Libya, Pakistan Embassy in Libya and Government of Libya at Tripoli for saving 21 human lives including 6 Pakistanis on Board.

He said that there were 21 crew members of ‘Morning Glory’ Tanker Ship including 6 Pakistani’s; Mirza Noman Baig (Captain), Ghufran Marghoob Ahmed (Chief Officer), Syed Muhammad Mehdi Shamsi (2nd Officer), Syed Asif Hassan (3rd Officer), Naik Zada (Crew Member), Muhammad Irshad (Crew Member), including 6 Indians, 3 Sri Lankans, 2 Syrian, 2 Sudani’s and 2 Eritrean.

He said oil tanker vessel MT ‘Morning Glory’ was hijacked by Libyan rebels from Libyan port of Sidra and later Libyan Armed rebels took the Vessel to Cyprus.

Leave a Reply