Witnesses identify attackers of Karachi bus massacre


Karachi: Five victims of the Safoora carnage on Friday identified Saad Aziz and Tahir Hussain Minhas as the main attackers of the bus in front of Malir judicial magistrate.

“At least five victims whose identities cannot be disclosed identified Aziz and Minhas as the main shooters,” media reports said.

The source said the five witnesses were injured during the Safoora carnage in which at least 45 people belonging to the Ismaili community were killed in Karachi.

The suspects were presented among a dozen dummies thrice, each time with a different arrangement, but the witnesses pointed out the two suspects among others.

“The witnesses informed the judge that the suspects stopped the bus, barged in and started firing,” the source added. The report of the witnesses accounts and will now be sent to the relevant anti-terrorism court (ATC).

Earlier last month, an ATC extended the physical remand of three suspects of the Safoora carnage till July 13 upon request of the police.

The alleged mastermind of the attack, Tahir Hussain Minhas alias Saeen, as well as Saad Aziz alias Tin Tin and Asadur Rehman alias Malik are on physical remand in a number of cases, including the murder of Jinnah Dental College’s American professor Debra Lobo and T2F director Sabeen Mahmud.

The carnage was one of the most brutal attacks on a religious minority in the country. At least 45 people, including women and children, belonging to the Ismaili community were killed when around a half a dozen gunmen sprayed them with bullets in execution style inside a bus near Safoora Chowrangi in Sachal on May 13 this year.