Karachi violence claims five lives

KARACHI: Five people were killed and four others injured in separate incidents of violence in the city on Monday. Three people were killed in a firing incident at Malir 15. Police said two extortionists came to meat market at Malir 15 and demanded extortion from the shopkeeper who refused to pay it and opened fire on the extortionists.

During exchange of fire from both sides, an extortionist died on the spot while two passersby were also killed in the incident. The other extortionist fled from the scene after leaving his bike. Police seized his bike and began investigation into the incident.

The victims were identified as Karim, son of Essa and Haji Noor Mohammad, son of Yousuf. However, the extortionist could not be identified yet. The bodies were shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for medico-legal formalities.

Later, the shopkeepers staged a protest at Malir 15 and demanded of police to provide protection to the traders.

In another incident, unidentified armed men opened fire at a rickshaw at mobile market in Saddar, killing 35-year-old Abdul Samad Tabani, son of Mohammad Ali. The victim had a shop in mobile market. The body was shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for an autopsy.

Later, the shopkeepers at mobile market shut their businesses in protest against the killing and demanded of the government to provide security to business community.

Karachi Electronics and Small Traders Association President, Mohammad Rizwan, said that the victim had a shop in mobile market and had no enmity with anyone. He said that the incident occurred in high security zone area of the city and attackers easily escaped.

He also condemned the firing incident at Malir 15 Meat Market and said that the government had failed to stop extortionists and other criminal elements from threatening traders. Separately, unidentified armed motorcyclists opened fire in Khadda Market area, killing 25-year-old, Raheel, son of Usman. The body was shifted to Civil Hospital Karachi for an autopsy.

Unidentified armed motorcyclists hurled a hand grenade in Sher Shah, injuring two people. The injured were identified as Fahim, son of Kamil and Jan Mohammad, son of Gul Mohammad. They were shifted to Civil Hospital Karachi for treatment.

A 35-year-old man was shot and injured by unidentified men in Gulistan-e-Jauhar. The victim was identified as Ali, son of Deen Mohammad. He was a resident of Nazimabad. He was shifted to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for medical treatment.

In another incident, Atif, 35, son of Nimru, sustained bullet wounds inside a house in Defence Phase-II. The injured person was a security guard and sustained bullet wounds when his gun accidently went off. He was shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for treatment.

Leave a Reply