– Company communicates progress on numerous indicators of economic, environmental, and social performance
INDIANAPOLIS, Dec. 5, 2013 / PRNewswire – Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY) has released its 2012-13 Corporate Responsibility Report. The report offers a comprehensive look at the company’s progress on numerous corporate responsibility goals and efforts, including:
- Charitable contributions
- Lilly’s global health programs focused on tuberculosis and diabetes
- Philanthropic programs, such as Lilly’s annual Global Day of Service
- Scientific initiatives, such as increasing minority representation in clinical trials.
“Lilly’s greatest contribution to society is continuing to discover and develop innovative medicines that help make life better,” said John C. Lechleiter, Ph.D., Lilly chairman, president, and chief executive officer. “Being a trustworthy global citizen also requires us to conduct our business ethically, responsibly, and transparently—and to strategically use our resources, knowledge, and capabilities to help improve global health and bring value to patients, society, and shareholders.”
Among the report’s highlights:
- Committed to provide $30 million to fight the rising burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) in developing nations from 2012-2016 through the Lilly NCD Partnership
- Pledged an additional $30 million to fund the Lilly MDR-TB Partnership through 2016, focusing on healthcare provider training and improving the supply of and access to safe, effective, and high-quality medications
- Helped over 300,000 people gain access to our medicines through the U.S. patient-assistance program, Lilly TruAssist, an increase of 18 percent over 2011
- Since 2011, nearly 600 employees have devoted nearly 24,000 hours to Connecting Hearts Abroad, a program that allows employees to volunteer on company time in countries where people lack basic resources or access to quality health care
- Donated more than $12 million to the United Way in 2012, a record high for Lilly
- Added more than 360 new clinical trial sites with minority patient populations of more than 25 percent
- Received a perfect score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign’s “Best Places to Work: Corporate Index” in 2012
- Recognized by DiversityInc as one of the “Top 50 Companies for Diversity,” and as a model of workplace flexibility for employees
- Selected as a 2020 Women on Boards Winning Company for commitment to diversity on the board of directors
- Decreased water intake by nearly 37 percent compared to 2007
- Decreased greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 17 percent between 2007 and 2012.
The Lilly 2012-13 Corporate Responsibility Report also serves as Lilly’s annual Communication on Progress to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC). As a signatory of the UNGC, Lilly shares its progress annually on 10 universally accepted principles related to human rights, labor, the environment, and anti-corruption.
About Eli Lilly and Company
Lilly, a leading innovation-driven corporation, is developing a growing portfolio of pharmaceutical products by applying the latest research from its own worldwide laboratories and from collaborations with eminent scientific organizations. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Ind., Lilly provides answers – through medicines and information – for some of the world’s most urgent medical needs. Additional information about Lilly is available at www.lilly.com. CR-LLY
Refer to: +1-317-489-7109 – David Marbaugh