Accused given more time to reply in rape case

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Monday gave more time to an employer, who allegedly raped his maid, to reply in response to a petition seeking fresh investigation into the rape case.

A division bench headed by Justice Ahmed Ali M Sheikh adjourned the hearing of case till 10 April when counsel for employer requested the court for adjournment.

Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research and victim’s father filed a joint petition seeking re-investigation into the rape case.

The petitioner victim’s father told the court that 13-year-old daughter was raped by her employer who later issued life threats to her daughter to hush up the case. As a result, the maid tried to commit suicide by drinking phenyl but the employer brought her to Ziauddin Hospital.

He said that on court directions, the police registered FIR but investigation officer declared the case as ‘A class’ in final charge-sheet which was also accepted by judicial magistrate.

The petitioner said that medico-legal examination had also confirmed that the girl was subjected to sexual abuse, but this evidence was deliberately not incorporated in the charge-sheet.

Meanwhile, another bench of SHC headed by Chief Justice Maqbool Baqar warned the counsel appearing on behalf of private respondents – Ramji Bheel and Nisho Kolhi, who allegedly subjected a girl to sexual abuse, to submit comments on a petition of victim’s mother, otherwise a case would be decided in their absence.

Applicant Jeema, mother of deceased rape victim, filed two transfer applications in SHC that sought transfer of two cases relating to rape and murder of her 13-year-old daughter pending disposal in additional and session court Hyderabad to Karachi.

Woman applicant represented by advocate Faisal Siddiqui and Muhammad Vawda submitted that her daughter was subjected to outrageous sexual crime by two accused respondents – Ramji Bheel and Nisho Kolhi, who not only gang-raped her but forced her to consume poison on April 04, 2011 in Haji Maqsood Qaimkhani village, in district Tando Allahyar.

Woman Jeema told the court that she was taken to local hospital where doctor pronounced her dead and disclosed the cause of her death as saying that girl died of cardio vascular failure without conducting autopsy. She said that on the directives of local court, her daughter’s grave was exhumed for conducting legal formalities but body of deceased was missing.

Applicant said that initially police did not take action to locate the whereabouts of her body but later succeeded to cause arrest of accused, who confessed in the local court that her body was shifted from grave to another place.

She said that her family was shifted to Karachi due to increasing death threats from accused and police officials, who tried to hush up the case. She told that witnesses of the cases were also being threatened and they were unable to make depositions in court, therefore, she prayed to the court to order transfer of rape and murder trial to Karachi’s local court.

Leave a Reply